Saturday, August 16, 2008

The Lake and Grumpy Old Men

Today Marissa invited Mike and I to go boating with her family. Neither Mike or I have been out on a boat in years. We got out on the water about 9 a.m. It was freezing! The wind was frigid and the water was colder. Mike was brave first and tried wake boarding. After some exhausting tries he made it up, but only for a few seconds. Next we tried knee boarding. I was the guinea pig this time. I struggled and ate it pretty bad a few times, but I made it up! But once I was up I had no idea what to do besides follow the boat...

Next Mike tried it. After a leg splitting tries he was on top of the water. He carved from side to side and even tried to jump the wake. He is my hero. After we lounged on the boat for who knows how long, somehow they talked me into wake boarding. I remember water skiing with my family and never making it our of the water....crap. But on about the third time something magical happened, I was up, then spun and down again...I have no idea how it happened. I was determined to figure this thing out. So I got up again (miraculously) but what do you do once you are up? No idea, so I hung on until I butt-planted it with a super water wedgie. Ok, one more time. I got up and was speeding along side the boat, but I wanted to carve like Marissa. And then, splat, another huge and painful water wedgie...I don't think I will be sitting for long periods any time soon.

We had so much fun, but got so burnt....It was worth waking up at 8 a.m. on a Saturday!

Later that evening....

We had a going away party for Marissa. We had a bonfire up in the mountins. We had hot dogs and smores, what more coud you ask for? A couple of people brought acoustic guitars and we were just chillin'. But we picked the wrong park. Never before have we been told about a curfew in the campgrounds where we always go for late night bonfires. But this one had a grumpy old man to enforce it. We were just listening to the three guys playing red hot chili peppers songs, roasting our mallows ang chatting it up. But thenm came the grumpy old man who informed us of this curfew. As we began cleaning up and deciding where to go next, it was only 10:30, he told us that if we didn't leave he would turn the srpinklers on. So we put the fire out and packed up....but I guess we took too long because guess what happened, the sprinklers came on! He didn't even give us ten minutes to pack everything up. Out hot dog buns got soaked as well as many of our faces...What a grumpy old man!

1 comment:

Julie Barnes said...

grumpy old men are the worst. Sounds like you had a great weekend celebrating your stay at BYU... :) Have fun in Kingman this week!